Intellectual Property Law
Intangible assets are an essential part of a company’s total assets. At each stage – acquisition, protection and transfer — the law brings solutions that each company must fully master.
From photography to music, from software to data bases, our experience is wide in the area of royalties and rests on daily exercise of applicable legislation as well as on an active judicial watch.
In addition to classic subjects in intellectual property law, a sector has developed whose economic and technical importance has now become significant – free software. We are regularly asked to help companies choose adequate free licenses or to evaluate the constraints and limitations of each of them.
With regard to patents, software today brings up aspects which question the traditional principles of the subject. Protection of software by patents must today be appreciated, with its strengths and its weaknesses, within a legislative context that remains uncertain.
The Internet has cast a considerable light on issues surrounding the principles of territoriality and specialty, which are the foundation of trademark law. Within this framework, our lawyers regularly intervene in litigation related to domain names, either as advisors or as cyber arbitrators.
- BEST LAWYERS IN FRANCE 2019
FÉRAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE was named by the Best Lawyers 2019 as “Law Firm of the Year” in Technology Law for having the most listed lawyers in this practice area.
Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie has been selected as « Lawyer of the Year » in Litigation and Media Law categories and is named in those categories for the second consecutive year.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie, Etienne Papin and Olivier de Courcel, have been selected in the following categories : Information Technology Law and Technology Law.
Olivier de Courcel has also been selected in Telecommunications Law category for the second consecutive year.
Etienne Papin has been selected in Personal Data and Privacy category.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie and Etienne Papin have also been selected in Intellectual Property Law category for the third consecutive year.
- CHAMBERS EUROPE & CHAMBERS GLOBAL - EDITION 2018
FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE is ranked in the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY category by Chambers Europe & Chambers Global Edition 2018. Richard Willemant is also ranked as “recognized practitioner”.
- BEST LAWYERS IN FRANCE 2017
Christiane Féral-Schuhl was named the Best Lawyers® 2017 Technology Law “Lawyer of the Year” for the second consecutive year.
FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE is “Top Listed” in Technology Law for having the most listed lawyers in this practice area.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie, Etienne Papin and Olivier de Courcel, partners of FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE, have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in France© 2017 in the fields of Information Technology Law.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie and Etienne Papin have also been selected in Intellectual Property.
Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie has also been selected for inclusion in the fields of Litigation and Media Law.
- New: The 7th edition of « Cyberdroit, le droit à l’épreuve de l’internet » (“Cyberlaw, how Internet challenges the law”) 2018/2019 has just been published by Éditions Dalloz.News: The 7th edition of "Cyberdroit, the right to the test of the Internet" 2018/2019 has just been published on Éditions Dalloz.
- Sorry, this entry is only available in Français.
- Interview of Christiane Féral-Schuhl on this subject on June 10th, 2016 on RTL.fr. For more information (in French). For more information about our expertise in Media Law and Audiovisual and...
- CIO Online - 15/10/2018
- - 31/01/2017
- FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE MARIE boosts its intellectual property expertise and its international expansion by welcoming Richard Willemant as a new partner- 05/10/2016