Member of the Paris and Quebec Bars
Attorney-at-Law, member of the Paris Bar and the Quebec Bar
Mediator accredited by the Quebec Bar
Data Protection Correspondent
Richard Willemant has been practicing for more than 10 years in intellectual property and information technology law.
Richard has developed an expertise in protecting and defending all intellectual property rights for companies and individuals in all industries, including technology, fashion, media, entertainment, luxury, aviation, tourism, health, sports, real estate, gaming and transportation.
He is known for his transversal skills over all legal issues related to technology and intellectual property, whether in civil law, business law, criminal law or international law, including issues related to civil or criminal proceedings.
Richard is often involved in complex litigation or multi-jurisdictions cases that require high level procedural knowledge.
His expertise as an attorney and trademark agent covers business law dedicated to intellectual property and technology, including in particular:
– Actions to protect trademarks, domain names, designs, copyrights and trade secrets worldwide, particularly in the context of international protection strategies implemented from France, Canada or Japan;
– Anti- counterfeiting action, in front of Courts or through custom proceedings in France, in Europe and internationally;
– Judicial and extrajudicial disputes resolution regarding intellectual property, technology, IT, media and communication, as well as commercial matters and unfair competition;
– Contractual, transactional and regulatory support, particularly in the areas of intellectual property rights, e-commerce, distribution and franchising, licensing agreements, production agreements or IT contracts;
– Privacy, e-reputation, brand image protection and defense for companies and individuals.
– Alternative dispute resolution, especially through mediation and participative procedures.
The expertise of Richard Willemant has a strong international dimension through the network of international lawyers he has created and alliances he has forged with partner firms in Canada and Japan, the USA, Italy, Switzerland and China, to name a few.
He is the origin of our cooperation agreement with the Japanese firm Toranomon CHUO LAW FIRM 虎門 中央 法律 事務所 which is a leading firm in Business Law in Japan.
Besides, Richard is regularly invited to be a speaker in International Law conferences in Asia, Europe and America to share his expertise with his counterparts and he was in charge of training Paris Bar Attorneys to new digital procedures they shall be all using today to communicate with Courts and notify their pleadings.
Richard Willemant holds the following degrees:
– LLM (Master of Laws) from McGill University Montreal, Institute of Comparative Law and Institute of Air and Space Law
– Master in contract law, University Paris I – Panthéon-Sorbonne
– Master in multimedia and IT law, University Paris II – Panthéon-Assas
– Master in private law mention judicial careers and criminal science, University of Paris II – Panthéon-Assas
Richard Willemant was admitted to the Paris Bar in 2004 and to the Quebec Bar in 2011.
Richard Willemant is the former President of the International Committee Paris-Quebec at the Bar of Paris (2012-2015).
He is a member of the following associations:
– International Trademark Association (INTA)
– International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
– International Bar Association (IBA)
– Association MARQUES
– French Chamber of Commerce in Canada (CCIFC)
– Chamber of Commerce France-Canada (CCFC)
– Association des Avocats au Barreau du Québec en France (AABQF)
– Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry in France (CCIJF)
– French-Japanese committee of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris
– French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan (CCIFJ)
– Quebec Japan Business Forum
Richard Willemant was also a lecturer in intellectual property and media law at the Paris higher institute for communications and advertising (ISCOM) and the European Centre for Children Products at the University of Poitiers, in a Master program.
Richard Willemant speaks French and English, and has some basic knowledge in Japanese