Data Protection and Privacy Law
Our expertise in Data protection
Data protection laws impose numerous obligations and constraints on legal entities (companies, associations, local authorities, public entities, etc.), which may lead to criminal penalties in case of non-compliance. The CNIL (French Data Protection Authority) conducts a large number of inspections for which these entities must be prepared.
FERAL-SCHUHL/SAINTE-MARIE’s lawyers regularly advise companies in data protection law, particularly in sensitive industry sectors (banking, insurance, health, pharmaceutical industry, etc.). We can provide a full range of services, and, among others:
– carrying out data protection compliance audits;preparing formalities and putting in place appropriate processes as part of a compliance operation;
– drafting personal data transfer agreements or “binding corporate rules” (BCRs) in an international context;
– drafting IT guidelines;
– advising security and archiving policies;
– assisting our clients during CNIL dawn raids;
– advising on and drafting professional alert (”whistleblowing”) procedures and IT guidelines;
– organizing data protection trainings;
– providing assistance and training to Data Protection Officers (CIL).
As a privileged correspondent of the French Data Protection Authority (CNIL), the FERAL-SCHUHL/SAINTE-MARIE law firm is regularly instructed to present sensitive data processing authorizations or defend Clients’ interests, especially when they are the subject of complaints.
In 2013, the FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE law firm obtained the CNIL “Personal Data Processing Audit” label by virtue of a resolution of the French Data Protection and Liberties Commission (CNIL).
This label distinguishes FERAL-SCHUHL/SAINTE-MARIE’s practice in terms of personal data processing compliance audit. This label “is an indicator of our confidence in the products and procedures having received the label” (www.cnil.fr/linstitution/labels-cnil/).
By deliberation on March 24th, 2016, the CNIL renewed the Label of the law firm FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE.
Our CNIL Audit Procedure aims at verifying if the processing of personal data by companies and public bodies complies with the applicable regulations (French “Informatics and liberties” law dated 6 January 1978 ; European Directive dated 24 October 1995). As part of this procedure we provide the necessary recommendations to ensure legal compliance of personal data processing operations and we assist companies and public entities with their formalities with the CNIL*.
Please contact our lawyers at the following address for any further information: email@example.com
- THE BEST LAWYERS IN FRANCE© 2019
FÉRAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE was named by the Best Lawyers 2019 as “Law Firm of the Year” in Technology Law for having the most listed lawyers in this practice area.
Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie has been selected as « Lawyer of the Year » in Litigation and Media Law categories and is named in those categories for the second consecutive year.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie, Etienne Papin and Olivier de Courcel, have been selected in the following categories : Information Technology Law and Technology Law.
Olivier de Courcel has also been selected in Telecommunications Law category for the second consecutive year.
Etienne Papin has been selected in Personal Data and Privacy category.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie and Etienne Papin have also been selected in Intellectual Property Law category for the third consecutive year.
- Who’s Who Legal 2018
The 2018 Edition of the “Who’s Who Legal” ranks Christiane Féral-Schuhl as “well known” in the “Data” category for her long-standing experience in IT, telecoms, media and data privacy issues.
Also, the 2018 Edition of the “Who’s Who Legal” recognises “Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie [as] highly respected in the IT law category and is a firm favourite among clients, who include IT service companies and major users of information systems”.
Finally, “Olivier de Courcel has over 15 years of experience in IT and communications where he is well versed in handling a range of related transactional and commercial matters”.
- Corporate Insiders 2017
FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE has been selected by Corporate Insiders as the winner of their 2017 Legal Awards in Data Protection and Privacy category.
- Quotes of Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Partner, on this topic on June 28, 2018 for Le Monde Economie. More information (in French).
- Talk of Etienne Papin, Partner, and Stéphanie Foulgoc, Associate, with Fromont Briens law firm during a training in social law on this subject, organized by the UMiH Formation, on...
- "See, your colleagues do "like" !": The use of social networks personal profiles at work, a fatality?Quotes from Christiane Féral-Schuhl, Partner, on this topic on March 19, 2018 for Numerama.fr. More information (in French).
- Édition Multimédi@ - 14/05/2018
- Édition Multimédi@ - 12/02/2018
- CIO Online - 18/04/2017