Partner - Past President of the Paris Bar
Member of the Paris and Quebec Bars
President of the French National Bar Council
Christiane Féral-Schuhl has been in practice for almost 30 years as a lawyer in Information technology (internet, telecommunications and media, personal data and intellectual property.
She holds two certificates of expertise: information technology and communication law and intellectual property law.
She is a Certified Mediator with the Paris Mediation and Arbitration Center (CMAP). She is on the list of mediators at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), as well as being referenced on the list of mediators in civil, commercial and labor matters at the Quebec Bar. She is also listed in the Lawyers’ National Council of Mediation (CNMA) directory of the National Bar Council (CNB). She practices both conventional and judicial mediation, both nationally and abroad.
She is also registered on the list of arbitrators of the Paris Mediation and Arbitration Center (CMAP). She has been appointed several times in arbitrations as sole arbitrator or member of an Arbitral Tribunal. She has also acted as parties’ counsel in arbitrations.
She has been a Cyber Arbitrator at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) since 2003, with more than one hundred online decisions over her fifteen years in the industry.
In 2012 and in 2013, the 2nd and 3rd editions of the “Guide to the World’s Leading Women In Business Law” ranked Christiane Féral-Schuhl as among the “World’s Leading Women in Business Law” in the “Technology, Media & Telecoms” category and “the Best of the Best” in “Information Technology”, in which she is the exclusive eminent female figure in France.
In the “Technology, Media & Telecoms” category of the “Who’s Who Legal” guide, she was listed amongst the “first-class practitioners” (2014), “Leading lawyers” (2016) and “Highly recommended” (2017).
In 2013, the International Council of Jurists awarded her the “International Jurist Award 2013” in London.
In 2014, for the “20 years of Documation”, she was presented with the “EMC Personality Awards”, for being the most eminent legal figure in her category over the last 20 years.
In 2016, 2017 and for 2018, she was appointed by The Best Lawyers® as “Lawyer of the Year” for three consecutive years in New Technologies, for Paris. She was also referenced by the “Leaders League 2017″ in the “Litigation & Arbitration – Mediation” category.
In 2018 and 2019, she is ranked as one of the “50 best business lawyers” (Decideurs Magazine 2018) and one of the major “100 French cybersecurity experts” (Usine Nouvelle, January 2019). Leaders League 2019 lists her as “Excellent” ine the Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation category.
Her firm FERAL-SCHUHL / SAINTE-MARIE, co-founded with Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie in 1988, has been ranked as a leading firm in its area of activity for many years. Click here for more details on her honors and achievements.
She holds a Master in Business law from Paris II University and was admitted to the Paris Bar in 1981. She holds certificates of expertise in new technologies, I.T. and communication and intellectual property law.
She was also admitted to the Quebec Bar in 2016.
Christiane Féral-Schuhl’s clients include leading IT users, IT and technological product consumers (commerce, banking, insurance, aeronautics, luxury brand …) as well as IT. and internet players (software publishers, providers, access and content providers …).
She is particularly involved in the following sectors:
– IT Law: integration, outsourcing contracts, cloud computing, software licensing, maintenance and assistance, distribution); litigation (IT projects, infringement, unfair or illegal competition); license audits and pre-litigation; cybersecurity ;
– Personal data law: strategic consultations, personal data audits, formalities and litigation before the supervisory authority, training and support for the IT and Liberties Correspondents (CIL) and Data Protection Officers (DPO) ;
– Internet and Media Law: website auditing, support and creation of commercial websites and several digital platforms, on-line contracts, electronic signature and more generally e-commerce operations; various litigation matters (domain names, providers’ liability, defamation, infringements of third party rights …) ;
– Telecommunications Law: drafting and negotiating of contracts, satellite platform agreements, spatial segment leasing.
– President of the Paris Bar (2012-2013)
– Appointed President of the Paris Bar (2011)
– Member of the Paris Bar Council (1994-1996) and (2014-2016)
– Member of the CARPA Board of Directors (Lawyers’ Fund Committee) (1987-1991)
– Member of the CARPA Executive Committee (1992-1994)
– Member of the EDIAVOCAT Board of Directors (National Lawyers’ Association) (1993-1997)
– Coordinator of the Commission on emerging markets and new technologies (1997-1999)
– Member of the Committee in charge of Communication for the Paris Bar (1982-1985)
– Member of the Gender Equality High Council (HCEfh) appointed by Order of January 7, 2013 (2013-2015).
– Co-President, with the Deputy Christian Paul, of the ad-hoc Parliamentary Committee on “the rights and liberties in the digital age” (2014-2015); this committee presented its report “the digital age and liberties: a new democratic era” to the President of the National Assembly, Claude Bartolone, on October 8, 2015. See the report.
– Member of the High Council of Administrative Courts and Administrative Courts of Appeal (CSTA CAA) as an eminent figure appointed by decree issued by the President of the French Republic, François Hollande on January 2, 2015 (2015-2017).
– Honorary President of the Board of Directors of the Association ADIJ of which she was President from 2000 to 2010.
CONFERENCES, TRAINING AND PUBLICATIONS
Christiane Féral-Schuhl is involved in numerous debates and conferences on the legal issues of new technologies. She is frequently invited to offer her perspective during interviews or conferences, in particular upon request by public authorities.
She is the author of several articles published over the last twenty-five years in the IT press and multimedia and in economic journals.
She is also the author of “Cyberdroit, le droit à l’épreuve de l’Internet” (Dalloz-Praxis (7th edition autumn 2017, which received the 2001 Fnac-Arthur Andersen Business Book Award in the Management / Law / Finance category) and “L’Entreprise, l’Informatique et le Droit” (Nathan, 2nd edition 1992).
During the International Women’s Rights Day 2013, she paid tribute to women lawyers around the world who are involved in the defense of human rights, and published a book on the profiles of famous lawyers worldwide: “Ces femmes qui portent la robe” (Plon 2013), for which the copyrights are entirely donated to the Paris Bar Solidarity Foundation.
French and English.